Thursday, May 22, 2008

Garmin Connect

As most of you know, I am completely in love with Garmin and their products. I give Garmin most of the credit when it comes to my frequent running routine. Their GPS watch really gave me a lot of freedom to run where I want, when I want, and gives me a full breakdown of how my run went. Running has become so much more of a new experience every time I go out to log in miles, because I know my watch is tracking everything for me, and I just enjoy the rest. Well, now Garmin has taken it to another level. Garmin has a new site called Garmin Connect. This site is similar to motion based in that it logs all of your runs, your heart rate, etc. But what makes this even better than its predecessor is that it allows you to make goals for yourself on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. For instance, I like to run 4x/week, so I have set up goals for myself to run 4x/week, 16x/month, and every time I log in, it gives me updates on how I am progressing to achieve these goals. To me this is extremely beneficial, because it keeps you on track...which is the key to success. It is actually bugging me know that I will probably not be able to hit my first weeks goals of running 4x/week, because I have had the flu since Tuesday.
Monday night, when I got home from work, I could tell that my throat and nose were starting to bother me, and knew that the flu was coming on. After taking some Airborne, and taking in some fluids I got ready for bed. Around 4:30 in the morning, I woke up and my throat was bothering me and I couldn't go back to sleep. So what did I do??? Yes, I decided to go running... because my rational was... I'm not going back to sleep, so I have 1 hr 30 minutes before I have to get ready for work... so maybe the running will make me feel better... I know, moronic.. but when I went outside, and I turned on my Ipod, I had to start laughing because the 1st song that came on was "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. I felt like I was crazy for doing this, but like always, about 5 minutes into the run, my body felt great. I think the dumb thing that I did was that I ran mile repeats, which is running the mile 3 times at a pretty fast pace. Maybe that wasn't a good idea, because I could not hit any of my times that I usually hit. I was around 6:40/mile and I can usually stay around 6:30-6:35/mile. I felt pretty good for most of the day, but by the end of the day, I was toast. Yesterday was miserable also, and by time I came home, I just wanted to go to bed. So, usually today, I would have logged in a nice 10-12 mile run, or so... but that's not happening at all. I feel a little better, but I just don't have the energy to run right now. I definitely have the desire to do it, but it just can't work today. Oh well, it's all good... I'll rest up and get ready for maybe a good run tomorrow, or on Saturday.
I want to give a quick shout out to my little sweet girl, who is "graduating" from preschool tomorrow. I am very excited about going to the graduation... I can't believe she will be in Kindergarten later this year..... she was just born...crazy!!! I love you Adryana!!!!

No comments: